We all have been stuck in such troublesome situation where all of a sudden our system shuts down and when we restart it, our word document on which we were working disappears. The intensity of this problem increases when we realize that we haven’t saved that word document. And, there is no way through which we can recover it. This problem is something which all of us have faced, at least once.
However, to be honest, the recovery of unsaved, deleted or lost word document is not a difficult task, especially if you know the proper steps for the same. In this blog, we thought of coming up with some detailed yet easy steps to recover unsaved or lost word documents. If you follow the steps that we have written below, you would be able easily recover the Word documents, followed by troubleshooting the common and complex Microsoft Word problems. So, let us take a quick glance at the steps that are given here for word document recovery.
Recover lost word document: Simple Steps
Method 1: recover lost word document
If you are a Windows 7 or Vista user
- Click “Start” button
- Go to “Documents”
- If your document is showing there, click and open it.
- If the document list is not showing your lost word document, move on to the next method.
- You may also try to search by typing .doc or.dox in the search bar.
If you are a Windows XP user:
- Click Start
- Click Search
- Click Files and Folders
- Search in “My Computer”
- Check the Recycle Bin
- Once you have found the doc, restore it from the bin
- If you haven’t found the lost word document, move on to the next method.
Method 2: Recover Unsaved word document
*Steps applicable for the users of MS WORD 2010, 2013 and 2016*
- Click on the File Tab
- You may also get the option to ‘Manage Document.’ You may also click on it.
- You will get a drop-down list. From that list, you are supposed to click on the “Recover Unsaved Documents” tab
- You will get the list of the entire unsaved document. Click on the one that you want to recover, followed by opening and saving the docs.
For MS WORD 2007: Steps to recover lost Word Document
- Click the MS Office button
- Click “Word Options”
- Click “Save”
- In the auto recover file location; make sure you have copied the file location there.
- Press the Windows and R keys.
- Paste the copied file path
- Click on the “OK” button
- Now, double-click on the word file from the directory to recover it.
Change the Auto Recovery Settings for Future
We would recommend you to change the settings of the Auto Recovery option. It is necessary for you to change the settings, especially because it would help you to recover unsaved word documents easily in the future. With the auto recovery option, your documents will automatically get saved so that you don’t have to worry about the same. The steps for changing the settings are:
- Click on File or Options
- Click on the “Save” option, which is located on the left-hand side
- You can change the time duration after which the word file will automatically get saved repeatedly
- Click on the “OK” button
If you are unable to recover Word document even after trying so many hacks, we would recommend you to take an instant help of the experts. And, to connect with them, it is necessary for you to dial the Microsoft office help phone number. The best part is that you have the option to easily avail the numbers from a verified online directory called Contactforhelp.